Latin Reader – 1895
BORNE FROM A FLAMING BIER.
Exciting Scenes Precede the
The funeral of Mrs. Henry Vollmer who resided at No. 1732 Passyunk avenue, and came very near being burned up in her coffin, took place yesterday morning. Late Tuesday night, while Undertaker Ebert and Mrs. Annie O’Donnell, of No. 1717 Jackson street were preparing the remains in the casket for the funeral, a candle from an altar near the bier toppled over and fell upon a floral pillow of artificial flowers. These blazed up like tinder, and Mrs. O’Donnell was severely burned carrying the burning pillow out of doors. The artificial flowers’ fire had, moreover, communicated to the curtains. The latter were burning furiously when the bereaved husband, with his two elder sons, entered the room and together they carried the casket and remains out of the reach of the flames. Anne Vollmer, the youngest child in the family, was so shocked that she fainted.
The fire caused damage amounting to about $200, and destroyed most of the floral tributes. A few sparks also fell into the casket, and damaged some of the lace.
After the excitement had subsided the body was removed to the house of Mrs. Mary Jackson, No. 1728 Passyunk avenue, where the funeral took place yesterday.
Pickpocketed from Alf